February 9, 2016
You may have noticed that there was no weekend wrap-up blog post yesterday! We actually had the weekend off and it was lovely! Saturday morning was filled with waffles, picking up our Wadsons Farm vegetables (we’re LOVING this, and I’m planning a blog post soon!!), preparing for the Superbowl, and really enjoying having nowhere to be!
From reading the title of today’s post, you’re probably thinking I’ve already talked about this! And you would be right, but it was a few years ago and I figured it was time for an update!! I know for families deciding on what to wear can sometimes be more of a challenge than choosing your photographer! If you have chosen Sarah E Photography to photograph your family, I want you to know that I truly consider it an honour, so thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
I know that your family photographs are memories that you will look back on when your children are all grown up. Because we are capturing more than just an afternoon – we are capturing this very moment in your families life, a time of joy, of growth, of laughter and giggles. And so to help ease the stress of putting together all of your families outfits I’ve come up with my top 10 tips for what to wear for your families next session!
1) Coordinating doesn’t mean “matching”. Wearing the same colour in a different shade is actually more ideal than trying to find the EXACT colour! 2) If a member of the family is wanting to wear plaid, my rule of thumb is the bigger the better! This may just be a personal preference, but it is true that larger plaid photographs better than tiny little checkered patterns. Also, instead of having the entire family in patterns, you may want to choose one family member to wear the pattern that incorporates the majority of colours. 3) Some families plan their attire to coordinate with their home decor! If you’re going to be hanging these photographs your wall, this may be something to consider!
4) Yes, your little ones may love their Star Wars shirt, or Frozen, or Mickey Mouse, but just like patterns – characters too, can be distracting. So better to leave those shirts in the car and let them switch as soon as the family session is over! Problem solved, and everyone wins!!
5) You want to keep your family photographs interesting, and colour does exactly that! So I always recommend avoiding all black or all white clothing!
6) Are we scheduling your session to be at the beach or in your backyard? The colours at these locations are definitely something to keep in mind! For example, if we were photographing your family at The Botanical Gardens, there is already lots of greenery, so having the entire family wear coordinating greens, may not be the best decision!
7) Make sure everyone is equal when it comes to how formal your attire is. If mom is wearing a super fancy dress, dad probably shouldn’t be in shorts and tennis shoes.
8) By choosing simple, classic clothing you will help give your images a timeless feel!
9) Accessorize! Scarves, necklaces, belts… I love them all! They can add so much to an outfit!!
10) Last but not least, this is a tip that I highly recommend paying attention to for mainly mom and dad. Wear attire that you are comfortable and confident in! If you don’t like the way you look in stripes on a normal, day-to-day basis, you’re not going to love the way you look in your images that I take. Bottom line, make sure you wear something that you’re comfortable in, these are you photographs too!!
add a comment